The MENA region is said to be one of the biggest arms markets in the world. Regional conflicts and domestic security concerns allegedly justify the need for importing new military equipment. But weapons purchases are also a way of building – or diversifying – alliances with world powers, thus positioning oneself in accordance to or against their influence over the region. The following chart offers an overview of the arms exports to the region since 2010.
- The MENA NWFZ: 44 Years Old Dream… Postponed Again
- Regionalism and Beyond: Mapping Regional and International Organizations in the MENA
- The Regional Dimension of the Arab-Israeli Conflict
- Signatories to Multilateral Arms Control Treaties and Agreements
- Islamist Parties Performance in Elections Since 2011